Do you feel self-conscious about your breath? Bad breath isn’t just unpleasant or embarrassing but can be a symptom of a larger problem. In this blog post, we’ll not only share ways you can immediately freshen up your breath, but also figure out the root cause of your bad breath to take the necessary steps to do away with bad breath altogether.
Causes of Bad Breath
Bad breath is caused by overgrowth of bacteria. There are a few potential causes of bad breath, including:
- Lack of oral hygiene. Not brushing or flossing your teeth consistently allows foul-smelling plaque and bacteria to flourish, causing bad breath.
- Diet. A diet high in sugar and starch can lead to overproduction of plaque and bacteria, causing bad breath. Moreover, if you eat a lot of garlic and onion, you may experience prolonged bad breath.
- Dry mouth. Saliva helps curb bacteria production, but if you have dry mouth, you likely have bad breath.
- Medications. Certain medications can lead to dry mouth, and therefore bad breath.
- Tobacco. If you smoke or use tobacco products, you may experience bad breath.
- Infections. Throat and mouth infections, like tonsil stones, can produce bad breath.
If you experience bad breath alongside swollen, bleeding, red gums, or increased tooth sensitivity, you may have gum disease.
Treatment for Bad Breath
Mouthwashes, sugar-free gums, and minty toothpastes can mask the odor of bad breath. But to eliminate bad breath completely, you should maintain a consistent brushing and flossing routine, visit your dentist to ensure there aren’t any underlying issues causing bad breath (e.g., gum disease, decay, injury), and maintain a balanced diet. If you use tobacco products, you might want to consider cutting back or quitting.
At Jones Creek Family Dentistry, we will perform a thorough professional dental cleaning during your routine examination using professional-grade tools. No matter what the cause of your bad breath, this will serve as the first step in us combating it together!
Affordable Dentistry in Jones Creek, LA
Jones Creek Family Dentistry offers a range of comprehensive treatments designed to help you maintain a healthy and beautiful smile. Learn more about our services and visit our financial page to learn about how we keep them affordable for the whole family.
Contact us to schedule an appointment today!Contact Us